How would you like a magic x-ray to shine on your work and tell you how to approach it? Have you ever taken brilliant, decisive action, and it was wholly, utterly wrong? Or been completely stumped about how to make progress in what you thought was a straightforward situation? Or worked on a project that took dramatically longer than planned? Used Six-Sigma, PRINCE2, Design Thinking, or Lean Startup when an Agile, Critical Chain, Waterfall, or RAD approach might have been better?
The Cynefin Sense-making Framework (pronounced kuh-nev-in) is a decision-making framework currently used for situational assessment in technology, industry, government, healthcare, and the military. Use it to understand what kind of situation you are dealing with, the combination of factors comprising that situation, and so decide on an appropriate set of responses. Cynefin has its origins in Knowledge Management research in IBM in the 70s, and has been developed and refined using Complexity Science and other disciplines to be the most useful decision-making tool available to managers today, a driving force in the growing field of sense- making.
Until I finish building the magic x-ray, Cynefin is the very best tool you can use for situationalexecutive management decision support at any scale!
- This session will introduce you to the Cynefin Framework, and enable you to
- Immediately apply the framework to your work
- Know and recognize the sense-making domains (Obvious, Complicated, Complex, Chaotic, Ordered, Un-ordered & Disordered)
- Have a basic grasp of design techniques for responses in each domain and when, how, and why to move from one domain to another
- Appreciate that even a basic understanding of Cynefin is valuable.
- 0.75 – Category A [Business & Strategic Management]
- 0.75 – Category A [Leadership]
- 6:00-6:30 PM – Sign In and Networking
- 6:30-7:30 PM – Featured Speaker
- 7:30-8:00 PM: Q&A and Wrap-up
- 8:00 PM – Meeting Adjourn
Food: Complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic beverages
About the Instructor:
Andrew Webster coaches and trains workers, management, and executives, with the intention that their experience of work is fulfilling both to them and to those who benefit from the work.
Primarily in software since the 1990s, an agilist since 2004, certified as CSM, CSPO, and CSP, certifications as an NLP Master Practitioner, Training From The Back Of The Room trainer’s trainer, (lousy) graphic facilitator, Drexler/Sibbet Team Performance Indicator facilitator, Agile Fluency Practitioner, and accredited Cynefin Trainer and Practitioner.
Andrew has worked in UK, Australia, and out of Silicon Valley, alone and through SolutionsIQ and Agile Learning Labs with recent major clients including Visa, PayPal, BBVA Compass, Nest, PayTrace, &NimbleRx.
- Online Registration
- PMI Silicon Valley Members: $10
- Non-Members: $20
- Full-time Student: $5 (online only; contact Meeting Leader for the discount code. Please bring Student ID card to the event)
- Veterans: Free (online only; contact Meeting Leader for the discount code. Please bring appropriate ID card to the event)
- At-the-Door Registration
- A limited number of registrations can be accepted at the door on a first-come, first-served basis. Once this limit has been reached, the event will be closed to additional attendees.
- PMI Silicon Valley Members: $20
- Non-Members: $30
- (Only Check or Cash accepted; make checks payable to “PMI Silicon Valley”)